Welcome to the homepage of the traveler!!

Over the past 7.5 years I have been able to do some traveling. There are some people who have traveled way more than I; but I have been to, (in my opinion) several countries within this last 7.5 years. I have had the privilege to go to Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda, Costa Rica (twice), Nicaragua, Nepal, India, Guatemala, and Canada, Jordan, Israel, Thailand (very short time), S. Korea (very short time), and of course, the U.S.A.

Anyways, as time goes on, I will attempt to be putting up more and more stuff on this blog. Enjoy what I have so far!!!

The Traveler

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Community Garden Host Site

To have a place for a community to gather would be amazing.
I am excited to announce that here in Lakeside, we are in the process of  starting a community garden.
Recently there were two public meetings to find out who in Lakeside were interested in having a community garden.  It was amazing to see who all showed up and were eager to help get this project on its way.   So I am excited to tell you that because of the interest that was shown from the Lakeside community, we are now going to have one.
I personally am excited about this because I have been in the beginning process of this project; and for me it is exciting to be apart of something in my own community which I am passionate about, and that is gardening and working in the locally.
What is the basic layout of what this will look like? The garden will be hosted in the front property area of the Lakeside Baptist Church.  The size of the garden is going to be around 100 feet by 60 feet, which will be able to host many plots at 4’ x 8’  or larger. This garden will serve as a place for the Lakeside community to gather and be a community. Also it’s possible that in the future because of this garden we will be able to have a local food market, as well as host seminars on how to grow local organic food, amongst other topics.
For me this is amazing, because I am able to apply many tools I have learned in the community development school to this project; for example working with local leaders and through a local church, etc.
This is the host site where the garden will be.

No comments: